Monday, April 24, 2006

Favorite Movie Quotes

Dead Poets' Society

John Keating:






  • No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
  • They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.
  • O Captain, my Captain. Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue? It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincoln. Now in this class you can either call me Mr. Keating, or if you're slightly more daring, O Captain my Captain.
  • There is a time for daring and a time for caution, and a wise man knows which is called for.
  • We're not laughing at you - we're laughing near you.
  • Why do we need language? Neil: To communicate... John Keating: Nooo! To woo women!
  • Phone call from God... Now if it had been collect, it would have been daring!
  • Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out!
  • Now we all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go, (imitating a goat) "that's baaaaad." Robert Frost said, "Two roads diverged in the wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
  • I SOUND MY BARBARIC YAWP OVER THE ROOFTOPS OF THE WORLD.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Arwen: Do you remember when we first met?

Aragorn: I thought I had wandered into a dream.

Arwen: Long years have passed. You did not have the cares you carry now. Do you remember what I told you?

Aragorn: You said you'd bind yourself to me, forsaking the immortal life of your people. Arwen: And to that I hold. I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone. [hands him her pendant]

Arwen: I choose a mortal life.

Aragorn: You cannot give me this.

Arwen: It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Arwen: From the ashes, a fire will be woken. A light from the darkness shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Contact


Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there's people on other planets?

Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.

[last lines] Ellie Arroway: [to a group of children] I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?

A Time To Kill

Carl Lee: Ask if he thinks I should go to jail.

Jake Tyler Brigance: Carl Lee, they amputated his leg because you shot him. He's the prosecution's witness.

Carl Lee: You're my lawyer ain't ya? Ask him.

Jake Tyler Brigance: Your Honor, one question.

Judge Omar Noose: Make up your mind, Mr. Brigance.

Jake Tyler Brigance: Deputy Looney, do you think Carl Lee shooting you was intentional?

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: No sir. It was an accident.

Carl Lee: Ask him!

Jake Tyler Brigance: Do you think he should be punished for shooting you?

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: No, sir. I hold no ill will toward the man. He did what I would have done.

Jake Tyler Brigance: What do you mean by that?

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: I mean, I don't blame him for what he did. Those boys raped his little girl.

D.A. Rufus Buckley: Objection, your Honor! The witness's opinion on this matter is irrelevant.

Jake Tyler Brigance: Your Honor, I belive Deputy Looney has earned the right to speak here today.

Judge Omar Noose: Overruled. Continue.

Jake Tyler Brigance: Go ahead, Dwayne.

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: I got a little girl. Somebody rapes her, he's a dead dog. I'll blow him away just like Carl Lee did.

D.A. Rufus Buckley: Objection your Honor!

Jake Tyler Brigance: Do you think the jury should convict Carl Lee Hailey?

Judge Omar Noose: Don't answer that question.

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: He's a hero. You turn him loose.

Judge Omar Noose: The jury will disregard...

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: Turn him loose!

D.A. Rufus Buckley: Your honor, you silenced that witness!

Deputy Dwayne Powell Looney: You turn him loose!


Jake Tyler Brigance: [in his summation, talking about Tonya Hailey] I want to tell you a story. I'm going to ask you all to close your eyes while I tell you the story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourselves. Go ahead. Close your eyes, please. This is a story about a little girl walking home from the grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this little girl. Suddenly a truck races up. Two men jump out and grab her. They drag her into a nearby field and they tie her up and they rip her clothes from her body. Now they climb on. First one, then the other, raping her, shattering everything innocent and pure with a vicious thrust in a fog of drunken breath and sweat. And when they're done, after they've killed her tiny womb, murdered any chance for her to have children, to have life beyond her own, they decide to use her for target practice. They start throwing full beer cans at her. They throw them so hard that it tears the flesh all the way to her bones. Then they urinate on her. Now comes the hanging. They have a rope. They tie a noose. Imagine the noose going tight around her neck and with a sudden blinding jerk she's pulled into the air and her feet and legs go kicking. They don't find the ground. The hanging branch isn't strong enough. It snaps and she falls back to the earth. So they pick her up, throw her in the back of the truck and drive out to Foggy Creek Bridge. Pitch her over the edge. And she drops some thirty feet down to the creek bottom below. Can you see her? Her raped, beaten, broken body soaked in their urine, soaked in their semen, soaked in her blood, left to die. Can you see her? I want you to picture that little girl. Now imagine she's white.

Ghost


Sam: Molly, you're in danger.

Oda Mae Brown: You can't just blurt it out like that! And quit moving around, because you're starting to make me dizzy. I'll just tell her in my own way. [pause; then, to Molly]

Oda Mae Brown: Molly, you in danger girl.


Molly Jensen: I love you.

Sam Wheat: Ditto.


Sam: I love you Molly. I always have.

Molly: Ditto.

Sam Wheat: It's amazing, Molly. The love inside, you take it with you.

Oda Mae Brown: I know you don't think I'm giving this 4 million dollars to a bunch of nuns!

Sam: Think of it this way, you'll go to Heaven.

Oda Mae Brown: I don't want to go to Heaven, I want to go to the bank and cash a GODDAMN CHECK!

Courage Under Fire

Captain Karen Emma Walden: [to Monfriez, after she's been shot in the abdomen] I gave birth to a nine-pound baby, asshole. I think I can handle it.

Philadelphia

Joe Miller: Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old.


Librarian: Sir, wouldn't you be more comfortable in a study room? [Andrew looks up and sees people in the library staring at him]

Andrew Beckett: No. Would it make you more comfortable?





Joe Miller: We're standing here in Philadelphia, the, uh, city of brotherly love, the birthplace of freedom, where the, uh, founding fathers authored the Declaration of Independence, and I don't recall that glorious document saying anything about all straight men are created equal. I believe it says all men are created equal.


Joe Miller: What's wrong with your face?

Andrew Beckett: I have AIDS.

Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump: Will you marry me? [Jenny turns and looks at him]

Forrest Gump: I'd make a good husband, Jenny.

Jenny Curran: You would, Forrest.

Forrest Gump: But you won't marry me.

Jenny Curran: You don't wanna marry me.

Forrest Gump: Why don't you love me, Jenny? I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.


Jenny Curran: Run Forrest! Run!

[young Jenny's father is chasing her through the fields to beat her when she stops and hides] Young Jenny Curran: Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far far away from here.


Forrest Gump: My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."


Mrs. Gump: You have to do the best with what God gave you.


Forrest Gump: Mama always said, dying was a part of life.

[repeated line] Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does.

Forrest Gump: You died on a Saturday morning. And I had you placed here under our tree. And I had that house of your father's bulldozed to the ground. Momma always said dyin' was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. Little Forrest, he's doing just fine. About to start school again soon. I make his breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I make sure he combs his hair and brushes his teeth every day. Teaching him how to play ping-pong. He's really good. We fish a lot. And every night, we read a book. He's so smart, Jenny. You'd be so proud of him. I am. He, uh, wrote a letter, and he says I can't read it. I'm not supposed to, so I'll just leave it here for you. Jenny, I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time. I miss you, Jenny. If there's anything you need, I won't be far away.

Jenny Curran: His name's Forrest.

Forrest Gump: Like me.

Jenny Curran: I named him after his daddy.

Forrest Gump: He got a daddy named Forrest, too?

Jenny Curran: You're his daddy, Forrest

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Where are you boys from in the world?

Forrest Gump, Bubba: Alabama, sir!

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: You twins?

Forrest Gump: No, we are not relations, sir.

John F. Kennedy: Congratulations, how do you feel?

Forrest Gump: I gotta pee.

John F. Kennedy: [turning to camera] I believe he said he had to go pee. Heh heh.

Forrest Gump: My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on.

[Forrest Gump referring to Apple Computer]

Forrest Gump: Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.

Forrest Gump: Mama always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them.

Forrest Gump: What's my destiny, Mama? Mrs. Gump: You're gonna have to figure that out for yourself.

Forrest Gump: That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.

Forrest Gump: In the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.

John Lennon: No possessions?

Forrest Gump: And in China they never go to church.

John Lennon: No religion too?

Dick Cavett: Ah. Hard to imagine.

John Lennon: Well it's easy if you try, Dick.

The English Patient

Almásy: This... this, the hollow at the base of a woman's throat, does it have an official name?

Madox: Good God, man, pull yourself together.

Almásy: There is no God... but I hope someone looks after you.

Madox: Just in case you're interested, it's called the suprasternal notch. Come and visit us in Dorset when all this nonsense is over. [Heads away but turns back]

Madox: You'll never come to Dorset.


Almásy: New lovers are nervous and tender, but smash everything. For the heart is an organ of fire.

Full Metal Jacket

Marines: [chanting] This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.


Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker, do you believe in the Virgin Mary? Private Joker: Sir, no, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Well, well, Private Joker, I don't believe I heard you correctly! Private Joker: Sir, the private said "no, sir," sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Why you little maggot, you make me want to vomit! [Slaps Joker] Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You Goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary, or I'm gonna stomp your guts out! Private Joker: Sir, NEGATIVE, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker, are you trying to offend me? Private Joker: Sir, NEGATIVE, sir! Sir, the private belives any answer he gives will be wrong and the Senior Drill Instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, SIR!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I don't know but I been told... Marines: I don't know but I been told... Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Eskimo pussy is mighty cold. Marines: Eskimo pussy is mighty cold. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: MMM, good... Marines: MMM, good... Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Tastes good... Marines: Tastes Good... Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Feels Good. Marines: Feels good.


Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy Jesus! What is that? What the fuck is that? WHAT IS THAT, PRIVATE PYLE? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, a jelly doughnut, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: A jelly doughnut? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How did it get here? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I took it from the mess hall, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Is chow allowed in the barracks, Private Pyle? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Are you allowed to eat jelly doughnuts, Private Pyle? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: And why not, Private Pyle? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, because I'm too heavy, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Because you are a disgusting fat body, Private Pyle! Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then why did you try to sneak a jelly doughnut in your foot locker, Private Pyle? Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, because I was hungry, sir! Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Because you were hungry... [turns and addresses rest of platoon] Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored his platoon. I have tried to help Private Pyle. I have failed. I have failed because YOU have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, whenever Private Pyle fucks up, I will not punish him! I will punish all of YOU! And the way I see it, ladies, you owe me for ONE JELLY DOUGHNUT! NOW, GET DOWN ON YOUR FACES! [rest of recruits get in front-leaning-rest position, Hartman turns to Pyle] Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Open your mouth! [shoves jelly doughnut into PYLE's mouth] Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: They're payin' for it; YOU eat it!

[the recruits have administered a "sock party" beating on Private Pyle] Private Cowboy: Remember, this was all just a bad dream, fat boy!


Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What is this Mickey Mouse shit? What are you two animals doing in my beloved head? Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk after lights out? Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon? Why are you not stomping Private Pyle's guts out? Private Joker: Sir, it is the private's duty to inform the senior drill instructor that Private Pyle has a full magazine that is locked and loaded, Sir!

Platoon

Chris Taylor: [voiceover] I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. The enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days. As I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called "possession of my soul." There are times since, I've felt like a child, born of those two fathers. But be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.


Chris Taylor: He killed him, I know that he killed him, I saw his eyes when we came back in. Rhah: How do you know the dinks didn't get him? You've got no proof, man. Chris Taylor: The proof is in the eyes, when you know you know.


Tony Hoyt: What the fuck is your problem, Taylor? She's a fucking dink! Chris Taylor: She's a fucking human being, man! Fuck you!

Saving Private Ryan


Sergeant Horvath: I don't know. Part of me thinks the kid's right. He asks what he's done to deserve this. He wants to stay here, fine. Let's leave him and go home. But then another part of me thinks, what if by some miracle we stay, then actually make it out of here. Someday we might look back on this and decide that saving Private Ryan was the one decent thing we were able to pull out of this whole godawful mess. Like you said, Captain, maybe we do that, we all earn the right to go home.

Captain Miller: James... I'm here to tell you your brothers were killed in combat. They're dead. Private Ryan: Which one, sir? Captain Miller: All of them.


Captain Miller: It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles.


Captain Miller: He better be worth it. He better go home and cure a disease, or invent a longer-lasting light bulb.


Captain Miller: Sometimes I wonder if I've changed so much, my wife is even gonna recognize me whenever it is I get back to her, and how I'll ever be able to, tell about days like today. Ahh, Ryan. I don't know anything about Ryan, I don't care. The man means nothing to me; he's just a name. But if, you know, if going to Rem"al, and finding him so he can go home, if that earns me the right to get back to my wife, well then, then that's my mission. [Being told he can go home] Private Ryan: Hell, these guys deserve to go home as much as I do. They've fought just as hard. Captain Miller: Is that what I'm supposed to tell your mother when she gets another folded American flag? Private Ryan: You can tell her that when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. And that there was no way I was deserting them. I think she'd understand that.

Captain Miller: [weakly mutters something] Private Ryan: [leans in closer] What, sir? Captain Miller: James, earn this... earn it.

[last lines] Old James Ryan: Tell me I have led a good life. Ryan's Wife: What? Old James Ryan: Tell me I'm a good man. Ryan's Wife: You are.


Constantine
Angela Dodson: Hold the door. You going down? John Constantine: Not if I can help it.

John Constantine: So when a half-breed breaks the rules, I deport their sorry ass straight back to hell. I don't get them all, but I've been hoping to get enough to ensure my... retirement. Angela Dodson: I don't understand. John Constantine: I'm a suicide, Angela. When I die, the rules say I've got just one place to go... Angela Dodson: You're trying to buy your way into heaven. John Constantine: What would you do if you were sentenced to a prison where half the inmates were put there by you?

Satan: You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself. John Constantine: So I've heard.

Angela Dodson: [Angela is about to transport into Hell via bathtub and has taken off her jacket] So, do I have to take the rest of my clothes off or can I leave them on? [pause] Angela Dodson: John? John Constantine: I'm thinking...

Angela Dodson: I don't believe in the devil. John Constantine: You should. He believes in you.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home